Contact Form 7 is probably one of the oldest and most well-known representatives in the field of contact forms for WordPress. With more than 5 million active installations, the competition is more than clearly relegated to the bottom ranks. Due to its popularity, Contact Form 7 is integrated into many (premium) themes by default, which also contributes to the wide distribution of the plugin.
Brief overview Contact Form 7
Developer: Takayuki Miyoshi
Active installations: over 5 million
Current valuations: 1364 at 4.5 of 5 stars
Price: free of charge
- Contact Form 7 is completely free of charge and offers all existing functions without any further chargeable extensions. Without doubt, this is probably one of the biggest advantages.
- Meanwhile there are more free extensions from other developers that extend the functionality of CF7. These include Contact Form DB (storing queries in the database) and Contact Form 7 Skins (customizing the layout, structure and visual presentation)
- Standard form after plugin installation "out of the box" - for some people this is certainly important. After the plugin has been activated, a form with the fields name, e-mail, subject and text field is already pre-installed and can be integrated directly into the page
- top support, extensive descriptions and FAQ - even though CF7 is free of charge, the plugin offers better support and documentation than many a premium plugin
- easy integration of the forms via shortcodes
- more complex functions such as autoresponder, special fields such as reCaptcha, document upload or quiz or even the possibility to track transmissions accurately by integrating Google Analytics form submissions
- very good performance, clean code and in general an extremely lightweight plugin without much frills
- Especially for "beginners" it is extremely difficult to partially impossible to configure the contact form beyond the standard functions. This statement refers to structure, thus also to pure design. So a beginner, who has no idea of html/CSS, will have no chance to arrange e.g. two fields next to each other. Even the graphical adjustment of the simplest aspects like background color, field size or button color can only be adjusted via CSS (or via a plugin extension)
- The simplicity of CF7 is both a curse and a blessing!
- pure html code creation of the forms without visual preview
- no drag and drop creation of forms possible
- Transmittals are not saved by default, which can cause requests that are not received to be lost
- complex forms, logics, etc. are extremely difficult to implement
Conclusion: For whom is Contact Form 7 suitable?
If you need a quick and easy option that is also free of charge, CF7 is an extremely good choice. The first contact form is extremely quickly integrated into one page and ready to receive the first inquiries. With basic knowledge of html/CSS, the forms can also be structured and styled accordingly. For beginners, who would like to design their contact form individually or need additional fields, it can quickly become difficult. Even for experts who want to implement more extensive and complex forms, Contact Form 7 is not always the optimal solution.